Haldimand County encourages residents to prepare for planned Hydro One outage in Caledonia area
HALDIMAND COUNTY, ON – On Saturday, June 3, 2023, Hydro One will be replacing critical equipment at its Caledonia Transmission Station that require power to be shut off in the Caledonia area from 10 p.m. to approximately 6 a.m. on June 4.
Residents in the Caledonia area are encouraged to check Hydro One’s planned outage map to confirm whether they will be affected.
Residents affected by the outage are reminded of the following:
- Make sure your appliances, such as the stove, are in the off position.
- Make sure your cell phones and extended battery packs are fully charged.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Use a cooler with ice for items you’ll need during the planned outage.
- If you plan to use a generator, remember to use it in a dry area outdoors away from any open windows, doors and vents.
- Use flashlights or battery-operated lanterns instead of candles. If using candles, place them in a secure holder and cover them with a glass chimney, away from children and pets.
- Make sure your home has battery-operated smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. Ensure alarms have been tested and are working.
- Municipal water service will not be affected. For those with private water treatment systems, check on the treatment equipment once power is restored to make sure it is operational before using the water.
- Have non-perishable foods on hand that do not require cooking (e.g. snack bars, trail mix, fruit).
- Treat intersections with non-functioning stoplights as four-way stops.
- Have your 72 hour emergency kit handy.
For more information on what to do before, during and after a power outage, visit the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit’s website.