Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Wastewater - Haldimand County


Wastewater is the flow of used water discharged from homes, businesses, industries, commercial activities and institutions which is directed to treatment plants by a network of pipes.

A total of 8 wastewater treatment facilities in Haldimand County provide treatment of domestic, commercial, institutional and industrial wastewater.

Haldimand County staff are responsible for the maintenance and repair of the sanitary sewer system including sewer and lateral blockages, manhole repairs and flushing programs.

Sewage Haulage Receiving Facility

Haldimand County’s Dunnville Wastewater Treatment Plant provides bulk wastewater disposal for rural customers. The plant is located at 700 Main Street East and the hours of operation are Monday to Friday (excluding Statutory Holidays) from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.   Please note the following conditions of facility use:

  • A Hauled Sewage Discharge Permit must be obtained from Haldimand County prior to hauling and discharging waste.
  • The acceptance of any hauled sewage is entirely at the discretion of the receiving facility.
  • It is the responsibility of the hauler to verify that the plant is able to accept waste on any given day.
  • Poor weather conditions or plant operational difficulties may result in the facility being unable to accept hauled sewage.
  • The plant does not accept RV waste.

Think before you flush!

A very important way to reduce the risk of sewer back ups and environmental pollution is to know what should not be flushed down the toilet or poured down a drain.

Fats include butter, shortening, margarine, meat trimmings and uncooked poultry skin.

Oils include vegetable oils, canola oil, olive oil, corn oil and salad dressings.

Grease includes gravy, mayonnaise, melted meat fat, boiled poultry skin.

Things to remember:

  • Never pour grease, oils and fats down the sink drain or toilet.
  • FOG solidifies when cooled and clogs pipes.
  • FOG may cause sanitary sewer backups.

Place cooled oils and grease in your household garbage.

Personal Wipes/Baby Wipes

Many wipes packaging claim that they are “flushable” but they are not.  Wipes do not degrade quickly and will cause blockages in sewers.  Wipes belong in the garbage.


Hair clumps together into large masses and can clog sewers.

Personal Hygiene Products

Items such as Q-Tips, diapers, dental floss, feminine hygiene products, band-aids and cotton swabs should all go into the garbage.

Wastewater treatment plants do not have the ability to treat over-the-counter and prescription medication.  These drugs can contaminate receiving waters and affect wildlife downstream.  Take over-the counter and prescription medication to your pharmacy for disposal.

All of these items should be disposed of correctly, either in your household garbage or at a household hazardous waste event day.

  • Hazardous chemicals (paint, varnish, solvents)
  • Cigarette ashes and butts
  • Cat litter, pet waste
  • Tissue paper
  • Coffee grounds, tea bags
  • Paper napkins
  • Food waste

Sanitary sewer connection

As outlined in Haldimand County Sewer Use By-law 1443/14, there can be no other connections from the property, such as eaves troughs, sump pumps or foundation drains, to the sanitary sewer other than sanitary waste.  These types of connections are prohibited because they increase the water flow to the sewers causing potential surcharging of the sewers and basement flooding during high rainfall or snow melt events.

Residential storm sewers

It is important to remember that storm sewers go directly back to nearby water bodies.  The stormwater is not treated so we must ensure that we are not putting contaminating substances into our storm sewer.

Items that do not go into the storm sewer are:

  • Grease and oils
  • Swimming pool water
  • Dye or coloured materials
  • Paint and paint by-products
  • Biomedical waste
  • Any type of fuel or mixed fuels
  • Sewage or reactive waste

Annual Wastewater Reports

Haldimand County submits reports annually to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks on our wastewater treatment plants and lagoons.  If you would like to view a copy of the annual reports, please contact Haldimand County Water and Wastewater Operations.