Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Noise Bylaw - Haldimand County

Noise Bylaw

Noise Bylaw 1098/10 prohibits and regulates certain types of noises within Haldimand County that are clearly audible and likely to disturb, and is enforced on a complaint basis by Bylaw Enforcement Officers and the Ontario Provincial Police.

What is Noise?

Noise means unwanted sound, and for the purposes of this bylaw, sound in excess of the limits or specifically prohibited in the Noise Bylaw is defined to be noise.

What does the Noise Bylaw Address?

  • General Prohibitions (see Part III)
  • Prohibitions by Time and Place (see Part IV)
  • General Limitations on Sound Levels Due to Stationary Sources (see Part V)
  • Limitation on Sound from Residential Air Conditioners (see Part VI)
  • Limitation on Sound from Blasting (see Part VII)
  • Motor Vehicle Racing and Analogous (Similar) Uses (see Part VIII)
  • Disturbing a Religious Ceremony in a Place of Worship (see Part IX)
  • Persistent Barking of Dogs (see Animal Control)

What is Exempt From the Noise Bylaw?

  • Public Safety and Highways (despite any other provision of this bylaw) (see Part XI)
  • Agricultural or Farm Activity (notwithstanding any other provision of this bylaw) (see Part XI)
  • Bells – Clocks – Public – Religious (see Part XI)
  • County Operations (see Part XI)
  • Traditional, Festive or Religious Activities (notwithstanding any other provision of this bylaw) (see Part XI)

Please call the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) to complain about noise from fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing, loud parties, or someone using insulting or obscene language or other disorderly conduct.

For noise complaints regarding barking dogs, please refer to Animal Control.

Please refer to the noise bylaw for more information.

Make a Complaint or Inquiry Regarding Noise

If you would like to make a complaint or an inquiry regarding noise, please contact a Bylaw Enforcement Officer located in your Enforcement Area at (905) 318-5932, or submit the online complaint/inquiry form below. If the complaint is occuring outside of Haldimand County’s regular business hours, please contact the Ontario Provincial Police through the Dispatch Office at 1 (888) 310-1122.