Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Planning Applications for Development Proposals - Haldimand County

Planning Applications for Development Proposals

There are a variety of planning applications that may be required to obtain approval for development proposals. Pre-consultation with County departments and agencies is required in most cases prior to the submission of an application to ensure that any issues, fees and next steps are highlighted by staff to the proponents.

Development proponents are advised to contact a Planner (below) to determine if a pre-consultation meeting will be required and to organize a meeting for their intended development proposals (Pre-Consultation Form). Once you have consulted with Planning staff you can submit your application documents, check for status updates and pay fees using our online portal (CityView).

The following are the typical Planning applications required in different development situations:

A technical diagram showing an official plan for development within the County of Haldimand

Official Plan Amendment

An Official Plan amendment is required in situations where the proposed use, though generally consistent with the Provincial policy, is not permitted in the Haldimand County Official Plan. A complete application for an Official Plan Amendment includes a completed Application for Amendment of Official Plan or Combined Official Plan and Zoning By-law, the applicable fees, and a detailed drawing. The approval process requires a number of steps as highlighted in the Official Plan Amendment Process Flow Chart.

Am image showing a computer generated image of a building being split into portions

Zoning By-law Amendment

In most situations, a zoning by-law amendment is required when the intended use, though generally in line with the Official Plan policy, is not specifically permitted in the applicable zoning bylaw. A complete application for Zoning Amendment includes a completed Application for Zoning By-law Amendment, the applicable fees, and a detailed drawing. The approval process requires a number of steps as highlighted in the Zoning By-law Amendment Process Flow Chart.

An image of a temporary structure

Temporary Use By-law

A Temporary Use By-law application is meant to enact temporary use of land for a purpose otherwise prohibited by the Zoning By-law. The County may enact temporary use by-laws for:

  1. a separate housing unit, such as a garden suite
  2. unfamiliar or uncommon uses on a trial basis
  3. and/or where it is known that the use will be established for a brief, defined period.

A complete application includes a completed Application for Zoning By-law Amendment along with the applicable fees and a detailed drawing.

To extend an existing Temporary Use By-law, completion of an Extension to Temporary Use By-law Application, along with applicable fees, is required.

A diagram of a new development

Plan of Subdivision

A Plan of Subdivision application is a proposal for the development of residential, industrial or commercial lots along with the supporting roads and related infrastructure. A complete application for a plan of subdivision includes a completed Application/Exemption for Subdivision and Condominium, the applicable fees, and detailed drawings, plans and studies. The approval process requires a number of steps as highlighted in the Subdivision/Condominium Draft Plan Approval Process Flow Chart.

A diagram of a complex

Site Plan

A Site Plan application is a proposal for development, mostly of commercial or industrial nature and townhouses/apartments, where it is essential that certain design aspects be addressed such as access, parking, grading/drainage, site layout, stormwater management, etc. A complete application for a site plan approval includes a completed Application for Site Plan, the applicable fees, and detailed drawings/plans and supporting studies. The approval process requires a number of steps as highlighted in the Site Plan Process Flow Chart.

A picture of a beautiful business

Part Lot Control Exemption

A Part Lot Control exemption application is required where multiple lots are to be created out of a registered plan of subdivision, and lot creation via severances is considered unnecessary. A complete application for part lot control exemption includes a completed Application for Part Lot Control Exemption, the applicable fees, and a detailed drawing.

Logo of the Ontario Municipal Board


Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT) is an independent administrative tribunal responsible for hearing appeals and deciding on a variety of municipal matters including planning and Committee of Adjustment applications. An appeal fee is applicable to all appeals to OLT. For more information relating to the OLT and the appeal process, please contact Haldimand County Clerk’s office at (905) 318-5932 ext. 6353.

An image of Western Europe

Development Activity Map

The Development Activity Map is an interactive map which highlights significant development activity taking place in Haldimand County. County staff, developers and members of public can interact with this map to access information such as the location, nature and status of major projects. The map which is currently being developed, will soon be available on the website.

A speedometer with the indicator in the green

Service Standards

The Division has established a series of service standards and performance measures relating to development review and which represent targets aimed at improving customer service. Each year the Division reports on its compliance rate and identifies areas of success and / or opportunities for focused improvements.

Development Approvals Fees

A number of Development Approvals Fees are applicable at different approval stages of the development proposals. All Planning fees can be found in Schedule Q of the 2024 User Fee By-law.

Public Meetings Schedule

Most development proposals are presented to Council in Committee, in the form of Public Meetings, which are organized in accordance with the Public Meetings Schedule through Haldimand County Clerks’ Department.


Planning Staff are located at the Haldimand County Central Administration Building (53 Thorburn Street South, Cayuga), or can be reached as follows:

  • Call 905-318-5932, ext 6209
  • Use the contact form below!
  • Max. file size: 512 MB.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.