Due to the extensive changes to the Construction Act (formerly Construction Lien Act), Haldimand County is providing the following supplementary information to assist Vendors during this transition:
The October 1, 2019 Construction Act updates will not apply where:
- a contract for the improvement was entered into before October 1, 2019; or
- the procurement process for the improvement was commenced before October 1, 2019
As of October 1, 2019 the Construction Act applies to Improvements and Capital Repairs.
Improvement means, in respect to any land:
- any alteration, addition or capital repair to the land,
- any construction, erection or installation on the land, including the installation of industrial, mechanical, electrical or other equipment on the land or on any building, structure or works on the land that is essential to the normal or intended use of the land, building, structure or works, or the complete or partial demolition or removal of any building, structure or works on the land;
Capital Repair means:
- any repair intended to extend the normal economic life of the land or of any building, structure or works on the land, or to improve the value or productivity of the land, building, structure or works, but does not include maintenance work performed in order to prevent the normal deterioration of the land, building, structure or works or to maintain the land, building, structure or works in a normal, functional state
Further information regarding the Construction Act can be found here:
Applicable Bid Opportunities will contain further information regarding the Construction Act processes.
Visit Haldimand County’s Vendor Information for details regarding our Proper Invoice.