Animal Control

Haldimand County Animal Control Services help to ensure that residents with and without pets may enjoy municipal amenities and a high standard of quality of life. The health and safety of all our animals contributes to the health, well-being and liveability of our County.

Haldimand County has contracted the Welland & District SPCA to provide a County-wide Animal Control Service.

Welland & District SPCA
60 Provincial Street
Welland, ON  L3B 5W7
Phone: 1 (888) 222-0568
Fax: (905) 735-7414

If you wish to make a complaint with respect to animal control, including animals at large, sick/injured animals and barking dogs, please contact the Welland & District SPCA or complete the form below.

Collage of nine dogs

To learn more about animal control in Haldimand County, please refer to our Animal Control By-law.

All dogs over 16 weeks of age within Haldimand County are required to be licenced (please note that pit bulls are prohibited). Dog licences are valid from January 1st to December 31st of any year. Licences are available by November 1st of each year.

Fee ScheduleOn or before January 1After January 1
Spayed/Neutered & Microchipped/Tattooed$20.00$30.00
Non-Spayed/Neutered & Microchipped/Tattooed$38.00$48.00
Dangerous Dog$113.00$123.00
Replacement Tag$5.00$5.00
Police/Service Dogs (proof of documentation required)No chargeNo charge

Please note: A valid rabies certificate, spay/neuter and microchip/tattoo certificate must be produced at time of purchase of licence to qualify for the reduced fee.

As of November 1, 2016, you can purchase your Dog Licence online. Please visit or one of the following locations:

Haldimand County Administration Building
53 Thorburn St.
Cayuga, ON  N0A 1E0
Phone: 905-318-5932
Fax: 905-772-3542

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except statutory holidays)

Cayuga Pets N’ More
8 Ouse St. N.
Cayuga, ON  N0A 1E0
Phone: 905-772-7387
Hours of Operation

Jarvis Public Library
2 Monson St.
Jarvis, ON  N0A 1J0
Phone: 289-674-0400
Hours of Operation

Jarvis Library

Selkirk Public Library
34 Main St. W.
Selkirk, ON  N0A 1P0
Phone: 289-674-0400
Hours of Operation

Selkirk Library

Persistent barking, whining, or other similar persistent noise made by any domesticated dog or member of the canis familiaris species may be considered excessive noise under Haldimand County’s Noise By-Law 1098/10. A formal complaint may be made by completing the form below or by contacting the Welland & District SPCA.

For more information, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions about Animal Control By-laws.

Please refer to the Licences page for information related to Kennel Licences.

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides financial assistance to producers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife.

To be eligible for compensation, a producer must:

  • Be a sole proprietor, corporation, partnership or unincorporated association
  • Have a valid Farm Business Registration number (FBR) or approved documentation issued by the Ministry of Agriculture and Food for new/retired farmers that do not qualify for an FBR number, or have a religious exemption approved by the Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Appeal Tribunal or a confirmation letter provided by the Indian Agricultural Program of Ontario (IAPO)
  • Have a Premises Identification Number or a confirmation letter provided by the Indian Agricultural Program of Ontario (IAPO), unless a Premises Identification Number is not available in that particular area
  • The weight of poultry injured or killed must be more than 25 kilograms
  • Must demonstrate to the valuer that reasonable effort has been taken to prevent incidences of wildlife damage to livestock, poultry, beehives, bee colonies or beehive related equipment to be eligible for a claim
  • Apply for compensation under the program using the application form (provided by the Livestock Valuer)
  • Be in compliance with and remain in compliance with all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws; and
  • Fully cooperate in any audits that may be initiated in relation to any compensation the applicant receives under the program.

Claims for damages under this program are to be reported to one of Haldimand County’s Livestock Valuers within 48 hours of discovering the injury/death, and are subject to inspection and a report by Haldimand County’s Livestock Valuer. Please contact By-law Enforcement for Livestock Valuers’ contact information.

More information on the program is available online at or the Ministry of Agriculture and Food can be contacted by phone at 1(877) 424-1300 for general questions about the program.

If you encounter a wild animal that you suspect may have rabies, follow the steps below & contact appropriate parties listed.

Suspected rabid wildlife that is alive or injured with no known human or animal contact – contact the Welland & District SPCA OR report the incidence to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Rabies Hotline: 1-888-574-6656.

Potential Human Exposure (e.g. animal bite, scratch) – Report the incident to the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit at 519-426-6170 / 905-318-6623, or 1-877-298-5888 after hours.

Potential domestic pet/animal exposure with no human contact (e.g. pets or livestock fighting with wildlife) – Contact your veterinarian to assess the risk to your animal(s). Veterinarians seeking additional assistance with assessment or management can contact the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs’ Agricultural Information Contact Centre at 1-877-424-1300.

Suspected rabid wildlife that is deceased with no known human or animal contact  – Report the incidence to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Rabies Hotline: 1-888-574-6656.