Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Water and Wastewater Information - Haldimand County

Water and Wastewater Information

Sanitary Main Lines and Manhole Assessment in Caledonia

Rapid Assessment Tech Services will be starting a sanitary main lines and manhole assessment in the southeast quadrant of Caledonia (area south of the Grand River, east of Argyle St S) on Monday, November 27, 2023.

During this assessment, residents may notice a high pitch sound in the manholes, mains or internal plumbing of their home.  This is part of the assessment process and will last for a very short period.  This will not affect operation of the sanitary system.

The assessment is expected to be completed within 2 weeks.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Current water restriction: Level 1

Level 1 – Careful Use. There are no restrictions for water use.

The Water & Wastewater division of Haldimand County manages the municipal water treatment and distribution system and the collection and treatment of wastewater to ensure access to clean, safe drinking water and the proper treatment of wastewater.

Report an Emergency

To report a water and/or wastewater emergency (such as a broken watermain, plugged sewer or damaged hydrant), please call:

Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., please call Haldimand County at 905-318-5932

All other times (including Statutory Holidays), please call our answering service at 1-888-849-7345

Notice to Caledonia and Cayuga Residents

As of November 2018, the City of Hamilton will begin adding orthophosphate into the municipal drinking water system as part of their Corrosion Control Program .

Locates and Sewer Safety Inspections (SSI)

To arrange for a locate or a Sewer Safety Inspection (SSI), please call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255.

Please note: all plugged sewer calls will require a SSI to be done to rule out a potential cross bore situation before County staff will attend a plugged sewer call.  There is no charge for the SSI.

Cross bores are natural gas pipes that have been inadvertently installed through a sewer or septic pipe.  Cross bores pose a danger, which is why Union Gas has implemented the Utility Cross Bore Safety Program.

Important reminder to Industrial, Commercial and Institutional wastewater users regarding Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG)

In accordance with Haldimand County’s Sewer Use Bylaw 1443/14, every business or institution (hospitals, nursing and retirement homes) where food is cooked, processed or prepared is required to have a grease interceptor properly installed, cleaned and maintained on a regular basis.  This can be done by a certified and licensed grease removal contractor.  However, if an owner wishes to clean the grease interceptor themselves, it is important to dispose of the contents properly.  Solidified grease at the surface should be removed and put in the garbage for disposal.  Liquid grease should be put into a container for recycling by a liquid grease recycler.  Local grease recycling companies can be found by doing a quick online search.  These companies provide proper storage bins and will schedule regular pick ups.

FOG over time can build up and cause costly sewer back ups and overflows into the business.  Haldimand County reserves the right to limit rodding services to businesses that have repeated sewer back ups due to grease build up.

What can you do to prevent FOG from going down the drain?

  • Place a screen over drains to prevent solid food particles from going down the drain
  • Recycle FOG by a grease recycling company
  • Wipe or scrape FOG from dishes and pots prior to washing; place cooled grease in the garbage
  • Use a grease caddy to skim FOG collected in the grease interceptor
  • Train employees in the proper disposal of FOG

Bulk Water Depots

Bulk Water Depots

To find information on setting up a bulk water account, depot locations and instructions on how-to-operate the depots.

Drinking Water

Drinking Water

To find information on the County’s water system including water quality reports, water restrictions and water use by-law.



To find information on the County’s wastewater system including the sewer use by-law, septic disposal and tips on keeping the wastewater drains in your home running smoothly.

Backflow Prevention

Backflow Prevention

To find information on the new backflow prevention program including what is backflow, documents and guides.

Water and Wastewater Permit Applications

Water and Wastewater User Fees

Water and Wastewater crews at work