Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Projects Requiring Building Permits - Haldimand County

Projects Requiring Building Permits

The Building Officials from Haldimand County’s Building Division inspect for the health and safety of its citizens, and the construction of structures and buildings in which our community lives, works and plays. Therefore, we would like to remind all residents that building permits are required for the following projects:


  • Additions – to existing buildings
  • Buildings/structures – greater than 15 square metres (161 square feet) in building area
  • Decks
    • Attached to a building resulting in a combined area of 10 square metres (107 square feet)
    • Greater than or equal to 2 feet above grade at any point
    • Serving as an exit or entrance (any size), or
    • With an area greater than or equal to 10 square metres (107 square feet)
    • Please check on the height restirictions in your area in the zoning bylaw
  • Accessory Structures (Sheds, Detached Garages)
    • Greater than 15 square metres (161 square feet) in gross area,
    • Greater than one storey in building height, AND
    • Contains any plumbing
  • Dormers
  • Garages and carports (attached and detached)
  • Pool enclosures around swimming pools
    • With a water depth of 18 inches or greater
    • Includes all inflatable, above-ground, on-ground and in-ground pools
  • Solar collecting panels (roof-mounted and free-standing)
  • Sunrooms
  • Tents – greater than 60 square metres, all tents within 3 metres of a building, or a group of tents


  • Buildings – greater than 10 square metres (107 square feet) in building area


  • Bathrooms/washrooms (roughed-in)
  • Building or plumbing system
  • Change of fireplace fuel source (i.e. gas-fired to wood-burning)
  • Change of use
  • Fireplaces
  • Loadbearing/structural walls – removal or alteration
  • Raising the structure (for full basement)
  • Substantial change of construction materials


  • Fuel burning appliance (fireplace insert, woodstove, chimney)
  • New furnace with new fuel source (i.e. electric to natural gas)
  • New plumbing
  • Sewage system – new/alteration/repair
  • Sign – new/alteration

If you do not see your project on the list located above and are still unsure, please contact a Building Inspector located in a Building Division office in your area.