The Web has become an essential part of how Haldimand County does business. We take our responsibility to maintain a professional, trusted and safe online presence seriously. We strive to provide a positive online experience while ensuring we practice transparency and protect the personal privacy of every visitor to our site. For this reason, we’ve created a Web Presence Policy that governs our online communication via our website.
Haldimand County’s Corporate Web Presence Policy defines our:
- Official web presence and registered domain
- Responsibilities to all website visitors
- Standards regarding accuracy, usability, accessibility, and continuous improvement
- Online services such as the Community Events Calendar, County Meeting Calendar
- Policies and disclaimers regarding external links
- Privacy and collection of information
- Online payments and related transactions
- Definitions of web-related terms we use regularly
- Approach to handling policy development and content management
- Roles and responsiblities of Haldimand County staff regarding our web presence
You’ll also find information about our social media presence on this page. These statements define our responsibilities to our followers on social media. They specify disclaimers regarding how we manage our own content, as well as content generated by users.
Haldimand County Website Privacy Statement
Haldimand County is committed to protecting your privacy. Our website has been designed to comply with the privacy provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
Most of the information accessible on our website does not require you to identify yourself. However, Haldimand County does collect personal information about you when you voluntarily supply it during the course of doing business with us. Any personal information you supply to us is collected, used and disclosed in accordance with MFIPPA.
We will not sell, share, or rent your personal information to any third party except to complete the business for which it was supplied. The information is for the sole use of staff in the provision of the services requested.
All effort is taken by the County to ensure that information presented on the website is accurate and updated in a timely manner. All documents are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind and Haldimand County does not make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results or reliability of the use of the materials on this website.
Haldimand County’s website contains links to external sites. These are provided for your information and convenience. The County is not responsible for the privacy practices of these linked websites. The inclusion of these links does not imply endorsement by Haldimand County, nor can we be held responsible in anyway for the content found on any third party website.
This website does not make use of “cookie” technology as found in web browsers; therefore we do not place cookies on computers of visitors coming to our website.
For visitors using a credit card to make payments through our website, we do not collect or store your credit card information. Payments made through the Haldimand County website are handled through a third party vendor application and no personal credit card information is stored within our system for that transaction.
Haldimand County is committed to openness and transparency by facilitating access to records and information, unless that information falls under exemptions listed within MFIPPA. For more information on accessing records within the custody and control of the County, please see Requests for Information.
Your Personal Information
No personally identifiable information is collected by Haldimand County. However, personal information, which includes your Internet Provider (IP) address, may be collected, managed, processed and/or stored by a third party service provider and is therefore not in the sole domain, custody and control of Haldimand County.
Social Media Disclaimer Statements
Social Media accounts are maintained by Haldimand County for the purpose of providing useful information and relevant dialogue.
It should not be considered official communication from Haldimand County. For official information on Haldimand County and its programs, services and policies, please visit HaldimandCounty.on.ca. The views of external participants commenting on these accounts do not necessarily represent those of Haldimand County.
The County monitors these accounts during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. We cannot commit to replying to all comments or moderating all discussions on these accounts.
In no event shall Haldimand County be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss in connection with the use of or reliance on any posting, content or information provided by another party on these accounts.
The County does not accept responsibility for ads, videos, promoted content or comments accessible from any external website and we do not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked website.
Where sites are open to two-way dialog, visitors are welcome to post comments on Haldimand County’s social media accounts. However, the County expects participants to follow a few simple rules. Please keep your posts clean and respectful. Haldimand County reserves the right to remove any posts or content that do not meet the guidelines noted below.
We do not allow posts that:
- Provide the personal information of individuals.
- Promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of any prohibited grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Are a personal attack on an individual or group.
- Are profane or abusive.
- Are sexually explicit or links to content that is sexually explicit.
- Conduct or encourage illegal activity.
- Are commercial in nature and is attempting to advertise, promote or sell products or services of an individual or an individual business
- Are for the purposes of promoting a candidate for municipal, provincial or federal election.
- May tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems.
- Violate a legal ownership interest of another party.
- Do not comply with municipal, provincial or federal legislation.
- Promote an individual religion or religious service.
Notwithstanding the criteria listed above, the County reserves the right to post, refuse to post, or remove any content from its social media sites at any time, without notice.
How Comments and Other Content Are Used
While Haldimand County will always take a balanced approach between reaching out to citizens in the ways that you’re used to – through venues like public meetings, and opportunities to provide feedback on our website for example – we also recognize that real-time platforms, like Facebook or Twitter, provide other opportunities to reach you where you are – rather than you coming to us.
Topics and updates on County activities will be posted and, from time to time, may ask for feedback. This information will continually be monitored, and may be reported back to staff and Council.
Staff will strive to be current and responsive to comments that contain inaccurate or inappropriate content.
Members of the public are welcome to submit event information for inclusion on Haldimand County’s social media accounts if that event is open to the general public, occurs within the boundaries of the County, and meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Organized or funded by another order of government.
- Organized by a government-funded agency or board.
- Organized by a County affiliated group.
- An organization identified as eligible for a Haldimand County community grant.
- Funded in full, or in part, by Haldimand County.
- Sponsored by the Haldimand County.
- Organized by a charitable organization with a registered charitable number and operating within Haldimand County.
- Organized by a service club operating within the Haldimand County performing work that benefits County residents.
- Organized by a business improvement area for general promotional purposes.
- Not commercial or for profit
To Protect Your Privacy
When you registered for your social media accounts, you provided personal information. Since that time, you may have added more information and photos to your social media profiles.
Haldimand County reminds you that if you have not restricted your privacy settings where possible, anyone who is a fan or following us could potentially view your personal information. We strongly encourage you to review your personal privacy settings in each of your social media accounts. If you don’t restrict your privacy settings, then you have consented to the display and release of your personal information.
Have questions or concerns about our web presence or social media policies? You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.