Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Marriage Licence - Haldimand County

Marriage Licence

Marriage licence applications can be processed at the Haldimand County Administration Building. Marriage licences may be obtained between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The marriage licence application must be completed and signed by both applicants; however, only one party needs to present the completed application form. A marriage licence can only be issued to the applicant and/or joint applicant. Identification is required for both parties, regardless whether both parties attend the office.

Marriage Licence Application

For information about wedding ceremonies, please see Civil Marriage Ceremonies.

Accepted identification documents

Any of the below can be used for each applicant assuming two pieces are provided, they are government-issued, they are valid, they are not the same type, and one has a photo:

  • Birth Certificate (Canadian or foreign)
  • Passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • Driver’s Licence (Canadian or foreign) tra
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Photo Identity Card (other Canadian provinces/territories or foreign)
  • Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card
  • Canadian Record of Landing
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Canadian Department of National Defence driver’s licence (Form DND 404)
  • Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licence
  • Canadian Status Card
  • Canadian Conditional Release Identification Card
  • Nexus card
  • United States Green Card
  • Report Pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Form IMM 1442)
  • Student Authorization/Study Permit (Form IMM 1442)
  • Employment Authorization/Work Permit (Form IMM 1442)
  • Visitor Record (Form IMM 1442)
  • Temporary Resident’s Permit (Form IMM 1442)–Minister’s Permit/Extension of Minister’s Permit

*Health cards and social insurance cards are not accepted.

Any identification in a foreign language must be translated into English by a professional translator and include a written declaration from the translator.

In some instances, a Birth Certificate must be presented in order to determine legal last name. Please read the information below regarding legal name.

The marriage licence application must show your “last legal name before this marriage”. To determine the legal name of a woman who has been previously divorced, the following rules are applicable:

Married before April 1, 1987 – Assumed husband’s surname and intends for this to be a change in her legal identity, then the married name is her legal name.

Married on or after April 1, 1987 – A name assumed on or after April 1, 1987 can only be an alias unless an application was made for a name change. The legal name would then be the name on the change of name certificate or birth certificate. In all other instances, the legal name is the name shown on the birth certificate unless a change of name certificate is provided.

Both partners must be 18 years of age or older. If you are younger than 18 and older than 16, you may marry in Ontario with parental consent. If you are younger than 16, you may not marry in the province of Ontario.

Annulment / Divorce inside of Canada – the original court certified true copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce (Form 36B) must be provided.

Annulment / Divorce outside of Canada – an applicant whose former marriage was annulled or dissolved in a jurisdiction other than Canada must obtain a Foreign Annulment or Divorce Authorization from ServiceOntario before a marriage licence may be issued. Please contact ServiceOntario for more information at 1-800-461-2156 or visit the ServiceOntario webpage.

Widowed – any applicant who is remarrying after the death of a spouse must bring one of the following:

  • a Death Certificate of spouse
  • funeral director’s Statement of Death
  • a court order declaring that your spouse has died

If an interpreter is required, it is the applicant’s responsibility to provide an interpreter and identification will be required for that individual.

Please refer to our User Fee By-law (Schedule A – Corporate Administration) for the current fee.

A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue.