The Grand Trunk Railway Station is a historical and cultural landmark bustling with activity. 1908, the Grand Trunk Railway constructed a brand new station in the growing community of Caledonia.
It remained a busy spot until passenger service ended on October 26, 1957. Express parcel service continued until November 1977, then CNR used the station as a maintenance depot. In 1988, the windows were boarded over.
The Caledonia Station remained in disrepair until September 1996, when a crew of 12 dedicated volunteers with the Caledonia Chamber of Commerce Special Projects Committee began renovations. The official opening of the newly renovated station was held November 27, 1997, just 14 months after work began.
The Grand Trunk Station Society, a non-profit group, was formed to oversee the continued restoration, maintenance and operation of the station’s facilities.
Today, restored to Grand Trunk splendour, the station is once again a busy spot, accommodating the office for the Caledonia Regional Chamber of Commerce, a year-round Tourist Information Centre, a meeting place for Chamber and other community activities, and small gatherings. You’ll also find local railway artifacts, displays and an operating “G” scale model train.