In September 2019, Haldimand County Council formally adopted 8 corporate priorities for the 2018-2022 term. One of these priorities is bringing high-speed, reliable internet service to all Haldimand County residents. Council approved a two step process involving (1) the identification of interested internet service providers and (2) a Negotiated Request for Proposals process to select a provider.
The Broadband Internet Project was identified as vital for a number of reasons:
- There are areas of the County with limited/no internet service providers
- There are a large number of home-based businesses that do not have high speed internet
- Large farming operations require high speed internet access for daily operations
- There are evident social inequalities in communities where lack of high speed internet is impacting students and residents’ abilities to access information or services
- High-speed internet will foster economic prosperity & help retain and attract business in Haldimand County