(See Policy Number CS-FI-02-2015)
In a situation where a Water and Wastewater customer has experienced an extraordinary circumstance that has caused a water leak and the leaked water has not entered the sanitary wastewater system to be treated, it is reasonable to consider a reduction to the amount of the wastewater consumption charges if all of the following criteria have been met:
- There has been a detectable leak in the water service
- The water has not been utilized for personal or commercial purposes
- The water has not entered the sanitary wastewater system
- The owner has acted responsibly and exercised due diligence to remedy the situation as quickly as possible, and
- A physical inspection of the premises was conducted by staff from the Environmental Services Division in order to verify the situation.
Note: The actual consumption of water as measured by the flow through the water meter will continue to be charged without adjustment. This is because the cost of supplying potable water exists whether the water is consumed or whether it flows through a leak in a water pipe. However, a refund of the related wastewater consumption charges will be considered if all of the above criteria are met.