Property Damage and Claims

Road Conditions

Who can I tell about potholes or other road hazards I see?

You can contact Haldimand County by telephone or in person during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). or by email using at any time. Please click here to see details on the location of Haldimand County’s Administration Building, and other contact information.

Please provide the Customer Service Representative with the exact location of the pothole or hazard so the appropriate action can be taken.

I have damaged my vehicle in a pothole. What should I do?

In order to mitigate your losses, it is recommended to have a licensed automotive mechanic inspect the damage. Do not continue to drive your vehicle if it is not operating properly. Notify the County of the exact location of the accident so that any required repair work can be carried out.

I think the damage to my vehicle is the County’s fault. What should I do?

You should contact your insurance company for assistance.  If your insurance company pays for your vehicle’s repairs, it will attempt to recover the amount of the claim from anyone they think was responsible for the damage.

If you want to claim directly against the County, please follow the procedures for Making A Claim outlined on the County’s website.


What is a watermain?

Watermains run underneath the roadway and supply fresh water to the private services connected to it.

What is a private service?

A private service brings water from the watermain to your building.  Maintenance of the private service is the property owner’s responsibility.

My property is flooded. What should I do?

Protect your property from further damage.  If there is any chance of electrical hazards, contact your hydro provider immediately.  Keep any damaged property for inspection.

Should I call my insurance company?

Yes.  Many insurance policies cover repairing or replacing water damaged property as the result of a public watermain break.  This is the quickest way to recover costs and have repairs made. Your insurer can provide full details.

Should I contact the County with regard to my damages?

If you wish to make a claim against the County, Making A Claim will provide the information necessary.  The County will only provide compensation if it is legally liable for the property damage.


What causes a sewer back-up?

Most sewer back-ups happen because the sewer lateral is plugged or requires maintenance.  Unusually heavy rainfall levels can also cause sewer back-ups, especially in the Spring when there is also water accumulating from melting snow.

What is a sewer lateral?

The sewer lateral is a length of pipe that runs from your building to the County sewer line.  Maintenance and repairs to the private portion of the sewer lateral are the responsibility of the property owner.

Diagram of a Sewer Lateral

Should I contact my insurance company?

Yes. Many insurance policies cover sewage back-up cleanup and the cost of repairing or replacing damaged property.  Your insurer can provide further details.

If I think the County is at fault for my damages, what can I do?

If you want to claim directly against the County, please refer to Making A Claim for assistance.

Construction Projects

What should I do if my property has been damaged as a result of County construction activities?

Write down the details of when and how the damage occurred as well as who was doing the construction work. Haldimand County requires that all their contractors carry insurance.

Should I call my insurance company?

Yes.  Your insurance policy may provide coverage for the damages you have incurred.  Your insurer will pursue any party on your behalf that they believe may be responsible for the damage.

Should I notify the County of my damage?

If you wish to make a claim to the County for property damage, please follow the instructions contained in Making A Claim.  Document your damages with photographs, original invoices and bills of sale.  Keep any damaged property for inspection.