Making a Claim – Property Damage and Personal Injury

Property Damage Claims

If you have sustained property damage, including automobile damage*, we recommend that you contact your own insurance company as soon as possible, as this is the quickest way to have repairs made and recover costs incurred. If your insurer believes that the County is responsible for your damage, they will seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy. While your personal insurance may provide full replacement value of your damage property, claims made against the County are only considered and compensated on the depreciated value of your property.

*Please note: The Ontario Automobile Policy under the Insurance Act requires you to report automobile accidents to your own insurer. 

Bodily Injury Claims

If you have sustained a bodily injury for which you believe the County may be responsible, we recommend that you inform the County as soon as possible. The Municipal Act requires that the County receive notification within 10 days of an incident involving a roadway resulting in an injury claim.

How to Make a Claim

Submit a claim using the online Claim for Compensation below.

Response to Claim

An investigation will be commenced once a Claim for Compensation form has been received. The Claim will be acknowledged to you with a Claim Number which can be referred to when making further inquiries. Once all relevant facts and information have been reviewed, the claimant will be advised of the outcome of the investigation. Any compensation in respect of a claim is contingent upon legal liability on the part of the County.

*Please note: If it is determined that the loss location falls within jurisdiction of a contract, your claim will be forwarded to the contractor for an investigation and response, as they are contractually required to do so.

County Compensation for your Costs

The County will not be held responsible for costs unless evidence is provided establishing that the County committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. Haldimand County, like most Canadian municipalities, only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims. In matters involving road and sidewalk maintenance, it is important to note that the County will not be held responsible for damages if it has met the Provincial Maintenance Standards noted under the Municipal Act; Ontario Regulation 239.02

Whenever damage to County property is caused by a third party, Haldimand County seeks recovery of the related costs from the responsible party (e.g., for damage to property such as street lights and hydrants.)

Contact Details

Haldimand County
Risk Management & Legal Services
53 Thorburn St S
Cayuga, Ontario N0A 1E0

Claim for Compensation Form

By submitting these details you are creating a claim against Haldimand County.
  • Date Format: YYYY dot MM dot DD
  • :
  • Drop files here or
      Please upload estimates or receipts here.
    • Drop files here or
        Please Attach any photos here
      • Any person who, with intent to defraud or knowing that they are facilitating a fraud against an insurer, submits an application or files a claim containing false information, is guilty of insurance fraud.
      • Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used to process your claim, including the possible disclosure to third parties to verify and investigate this claim. Questions regarding this collection or disclosure of this record can be sent to the FOI Coordinator at 905.318.5932 x 6362.
      • Date Format: YYYY dot MM dot DD