With schools closed and many of you working and staying at home during the current event, Haldimand County staff have compiled lists of online resources which we hope will give you some ideas and inspiration for making the most of our situation. The suggestions and links categorized below will point you to a variety of activities, downloadables and educational opportunities.
- Gale Courses Offers many highly interactive, instructor led courses taken entirely online. Upgrade your computer skills, learn to play guitar, manage stress, get a certification in meditation and so much more.
- Mango Languages Learn dozens of languages interactively while tracking your progress. There’s even a fun course on learning Pirate-speak… arrgghh! Or try Duolingo for loads of language fun.
- Chilton’s Auto Repair Now’s a great time to learn what’s under your hood and some useful tips to maintain your vehicle.
- Open University A free learning site with documentaries and a huge selection of courses in history, finance, science, education, law, environmental studies and more.
Curio Educational programs, documentaries, audio and archival material from the CBC
From ABCs to ACTs Find lists of dozens of educational sites and activities
IXL Math Various math activities for JK, Kindergarten and grades 1 through 12
Financial Literacy for Kids A site developed by InCharge, providing lesson plans and activity sheets
Virtual Museum Tours Includes many Canadian museums you can tour from home!
Staying physically fit is important anytime, but particularly now while you may be confined to your residence.
Below are some ideas and links to resources to help keep you active.
- Fitness Blender A variety of workout tips and techniques with hundreds of free video demonstrations
- Physical Activity and Your Health Resources from the Federal government including tips to stay active for various age groups and downloadable guides
- Fitness Magazines Available on the library’s RB Digital download site. Hundreds of articles on various exercises and sports.
- Local Bicycle Routes Plan your next cycling trip through Haldimand County’s quiet country roads or along the scenic lakeshore. Remember to observe social distancing.
- Local Trails Take advantage of the numerous and beautiful trails available right here in Haldimand County and remember to observe social distancing.
- Yoga in Your Living Room Dozens of how-to videos
- Couch to 5K Week by Week Prepare for local marathons with these handy running programmes.
Wipe the dust off those family board games, puzzles and colouring books; finish that scrapbook you started years ago or revisit an old hobby; browse through old family photo albums; or “bond” with the cat by playing some new tricks.
Other projects you might want to get underway include spring cleaning, organizing your closet or purse, listening to podcasts, or cleaning your car – inside and out. Better yet, consider a “me-day” with a bubble-bath or whatever relaxes you.
Here are even more ideas:
StoryTime with Haldimand County Library staff
Super Coloring pages for children
Colouring pages for discerning adults
AllRecipes Try a recipe you’ve been meaning to make and explore new cuisines!
Cooking Magazines availble from the library’s RB Digital download site
The Haldimand County Public Library offers many downloadable services for ebooks, digital music, and digital magazines.
If you do not yet have a library card to access some of these services, simply call the library at 289-674-0400 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll set you up right away.
TumbleBooks for children
- due to high traffic, ABDO resources may be a little slow, but trust us…a little bit of patience will yield a lot of results!
Music Downloads and Streaming
Freegal offers thousands of song tracks by your family’s favourite artists, all available for free downloading or streaming.
RB Digital Magazines offers hundreds of magazine issues covering many different topics of interest, including popular titles such as InTouch, Hello!, Star, US, Reader’s Digest, and National Geographic.