On Sunday, August 28, 2022, Hydro One will be performing repairs that require power to be shut off in the Dunnville area from 5:30 a.m. to approximately 2 p.m. In response to this planned outage, Haldimand County will be opening a cooling centre/charging station at the Dunnville Community Lifespan Centre.
Residents in the Dunnville area are encouraged to check Hydro One’s planned outage map to confirm whether they will be affected.
Anyone impacted by this temporary outage may utilize the Lifespan Centre (275 Ramsey Drive) to cool off and/or charge their electronic devices (from 5:30 a.m. until power is restored). The Cayuga Memorial Arena will also be open to affected residents.
Residents affected by the outage are reminded of the following:
- Make sure your appliances, such as the stove, are in the off position.
- Make sure your cell phone and extended battery packs are fully charged.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Use a cooler with ice for items you’ll need during the planned outage.
- If you plan to use a generator, remember to use it in a dry area outdoors away from any open windows, doors and vents.
- Use flashlights or battery-operated lanterns instead of candles. If using candles, place them in a secure holder and cover them with a glass chimney, away from children and pets.
- Make sure your home has battery-operated smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. Ensure Alarms have been tested and are working.
- Municipal water service will not be affected. For those with private water treatment systems, check on the treatment equipment once power is restored to make sure it is operational before using the water.
- Have non-perishable foods on hand that do not require cooking (e.g. snack bars, trail mix, fruit).
- Treat intersections with non-functioning stoplights as four-way stops.
- Purchase any fuel products the day before the planned outage (e.g. gas for vehicles).
- Have your 72 hour emergency kit
Residents are also advised of the following service impacts:
- Due to the outage Dunnville Lions Pool will be closed; it will re-open as soon as possible after power is restored (likely on Monday, August 29). The wading pool in Central Park will be open as usual.
- Installation of ice at the Dunnville Memorial Arena will be delayed, which will result in an opening after Labour Day. The Cayuga Memorial Arena will be opened early to accommodate any Dunnville bookings already in place.
For more information on what to do before, during and after a power outage, visit the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit’s website.